Best Workout Headphones For Indoor Workouts & More

 Although at the start of lockdown I was moving considerably less, I eventually found my stride through teaching my own online classes and creating a training plan I could stick to.

My weeks have been packed with up to ~10 live classes, 3 runs since I started couch to 5k and at least 2 indoor rides. Sometimes I have the space to myself – I live in a one bedroom flat – and sometimes, I need to keep the noise down. So the quest for the best workout headphones begun here…

What do you look for in workout headphones? How well they stay in your ears? How comfy they are? How heavy they are? Quality of sound? And ease of connection?!

Best Wireless In Ear Headphones For Working Out

Wissonly Hi Runner


Wissonly is a headphone brand that attaches great attention on health, and that does not hurt the ears. Their team is also the first one to design non-in-ear headphones that are used to listen to songs. They began to explore the application of bone conduction technology to Bluetooth headphones as early as 10 years ago. After 10 years of accumulation, they have made great progress in the sound quality improvement and sound leakage reduction of bone conduction headphones. And these technologies are applied to their Wissonly Hi Runner headphones, their flagship product.
In order to solve the problem of sound leakage of bone conduction headphones, wissonly developed full closed sound leakage reduction technology. They comprehensively improved the vibration of the headphones, body design, software optimization and other directions. They finally reduced the sound leakage by 90%. In terms of sound quality, most of the bone conduction headphones have average sound quality, but the sound quality of Wissonly Hi Runner is undoubtedly better in bone conduction. They used a large-sized vibration unit, and through structural optimization, and finally increased the effective vibration area, so that the sound range was wide. The official claimed sound quality reach the HIFI level, but I don't think that they reached. They are just close to the HIFI sound quality, which is enough to satisfy me.
The excellent performance of these two characteristics, sound leakage reduction and sound quality, makes Wissonly Hi Runner have the basic conditions to become an excellent bone conduction headphone. Their other configurations are also very good. They are with a built-in 32GB of memory, and can play music even without connecting the phone. You can use them as an MP3 player. They support IPX8 waterproof level in swimming, even in underwater scenes that do not support Bluetooth, they can be used with MP3 function.

AFTERSHOKZ OpenMove


When out running on roads, or even cycling, safety becomes a big factor in what headphones you should use, if any. I’d heard of Shokz (formerly Aftershokz) and their bone conduction technology; I’d even had a demo in the past but wasn’t 100% sure.

Shokz (formerly Aftershokz) recently launched the more budget friendly OpenMove headphones** which allow you hear your music and surroundings at the same time.

I’ve been testing them out for a few weeks now and they’re a firm favourite, if not my actual favourite headphones to wear. I’ve used them indoor cycling and running outdoors, finding them comfortable no matter how long I wear them as they don’t squeeze my head (lol) and don’t even need to be inserted into the ear.

Although they’re feather light, Shokz say they’re durable and sweat resistant, with a 6 hour battery life. I’ve had no complaints with the quality of sound or connecting them to my phone either.

Plantronics BackBeat 500 Wireless Bluetooth Headset


They’ve been super comfy for running, riding (indoors, pictured above) and workouts. They’re not too heavy and best of all they look as good as new considering their age!

I’ve used them for all of my couch to 5k runs to listen to music and listen to the instructions for when to run. They’re super easy to connect, reconnect quickly when switched on and the buttons are easy to feel for when wearing them.

I love that the voice tells you whether the battery is high, medium or low when you turn on the headphones so you know where you stand immediately.

Edifier TWS1 True Wireless Earbuds


The Edifier TWS1 headphones* were super easy to connect to my devices – I managed to set them up first time in about 2 minutes flicking through the instructions as I set up for class.

I’ve used them when doing my home workouts on Fiit, when doing indoor rides and even when recording workouts so I can have music to keep me going but none for the recording.

The sound quality has been great and they’ve always stayed put in my ears. Having not read the instructions though, I do sometimes touch the wrong place on them and end up pausing the music or ending my phone call.

Read more: The 5 Best Workout Headphones




留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

The Very Best Gifts for Runners, as Told by a Runner and Personal Trainer

How Does Bone Conduction Headphones Work and Do They have Disadvantages?

What Are Bluetooth Bone Conduction Headsets and Can They Damage Your Hearing?